Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day Tripping to Statia

When Mel (my coworker at Sea Saba) invited me to go to Statia for a day-trip, I dropped everything!  It's not common to have the chance to get off Saba and see a near-by island.  I rearranged my work schedule so I could celebrate Michele's (Mel's boyfriend and local fisherman) 40th birthday!

Statia (aka Sint Eustatius) is only 18 miles away and a quick 1 hour boat trip.  Here we are getting the boat ready to head out.

 See you later Saba!

One hour later after a smooth ride, the harbor at Statia
 
 We walked around Statia for the morning, sightseeing.
 Didn't take long to find this guy - we don't have lizards like these on Saba.



 Statia has beautiful ruins . . .
 AND . . . a pirate's grave - the real deal!

 This is the Old Gin House - beautiful hotel.

 We spent the afternoon at this beautiful salt water pool right on the ocean.
 Sitting on the boat with Kelly on the way home - being on the ocean makes me instantly happy like nothing else!

Stunning sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment